Friday 7 October 2011

Personal Statement


Personal Statement – Emma Lambert

My name is Emma Lambert and I am applying for the Graphic Design Course. I would like to be given the opportunity to study this course at University because I have recently finished my BTEC National Diploma in Graphic Design and I’m interested in furthering my education in this subject. Some key aspects of the course I like are Photoshop manipulation and design using Illustrator and poster and web design.

In secondary school I was part of the girls netball team, and was also in many dance classes up until I was 12. Growing up I learned to play guitar and piano although I don’t play anymore. In school I learned to speak a small amount of French, which later turned out to be quite useful on holiday.  I studied IT in school and was awarded with a C grade for GCSE. Now in my graphic course I am using the Macs for a lot of my work and the programmes I find myself using the most are Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and Microsoft word.

I am often asked to arrange most of my friends’ parties because I have very good organization skills. Also in my current course I am often given the opportunity to work in groups for small side projects. I feel I am very good at time keeping and I am very self motivated, I like to set myself small goals to get my work complete. I currently go to college 3 days a week and work the other 2-week days. I never had any brothers and sisters to take care of growing up but this forced me to mature quickly and create relationships with my parents.

For my work experience, I was placed with a photography company called picturethis in Canterbury where I was able to view professional photography and what kind of image manipulation goes on in a professional business. I currently work for a small local charity in Canterbury called HiKent, which helps people who are deaf or suffer from a hearing loss. Through working at Hi Kent I have taken my level 1 BSL sign language course. I work there 8 hours a day in the 2 days of the week I’m not at college.

Previously to studying Graphic Design, I had also taken a fine art First Diploma course at Canterbury College, which had helped me, choose which industry within art I wanted to focus on. After a year on my fine art course studying Ceramics, sculpture, painting, Printing, Drawing and Computer based art, I had come away with a Distinction* and a more detailed idea of what I wanted to do.

My career plans are to work within the graphic design industry either as a Magazine designer, Photographer or Illustrator. In my spare time, I enjoy taking photographs, drawing, listening to music, going to gigs, and meeting up with my friends.  I would also very much like the opportunity to be a journalist and photographer in the future. I have a huge passion for English and I would love to portray my opinions. Photography is a major hobby of mine and I think I would be nice to turn that into a job if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment